Monday, May 27, 2013

Autocrossing

Let’s talk about the first hot rod that I bought on my own.  In 1993, I was very excited about autocrossing. What I wanted was a small, lightweight car that was well-suited for autocrossing.  What I came up with was a 1983 Porsche 944.

Ok, I know what you’re thinking: On what planet is a 944 considered a hot rod?  That’s a valid question, and we’ll get into that later.  For the moment, let’s take a look at the car that I bought in 1993.


In 1983, Porsche released the 944 model, which was a modified version of their 924 model, and based somewhat on the racing versions of that car, with flared fenders and other subtle changes in the bodywork.  The 944 featured four wheel disc brakes, electronic fuel injection, and a five-speed transaxle which gave the car a 50%-50% front-to-rear weight distribution.  How would this setup produce on the autocross?  In a word: perfect.

No comments: